Wednesday, March 14, 2012

How Traditional Chinese Health Beliefs and Chinese Culture Influence Health and Illness?

Traditional Chinese health beliefs adopt a holistic view emphasizing the importance of environmental factors in increasing risk of disease. According to Quah (1985), these factors influence the balance of body's harmony, yin and yang. These are two opposite but complementary forces and, together with qi (vital energy), they control the universe and explain the relationship between people and their surroundings. Imbalance in these two forces, or in the qi, results in illness.

In order to restore the balance, traditional remedial practices may be needed. For example, excess `hot' energy can be counterbalanced by cooling herbal teas, and vice versa. These beliefs are deeply ingrained among the Chinese, and have been found to be unchanged following migration to Singapore.

Health Promotion

Lee, et. al. (2004), found that patients with specific chronic diseases, namely arthritis, musculoskeletal diseases and stroke, were more likely to use Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM). This was strongly determined by the 'chronic disease triad', perceived satisfaction with care and cultural health beliefs.

How Traditional Chinese Health Beliefs and Chinese Culture Influence Health and Illness?

Hence the use of TCM is not associated with the quality of doctor-patient interaction. Astin (1998) also agreed that it was seen as being more compatible with the patients' values, spiritual and religious philosophy, or beliefs regarding the nature and meaning of health and illness.

In traditional Chinese culture, taking medication is thought to be aversive, hence medications tend to be taken only until symptoms are relieved and then discontinued; if symptoms are not obvious, medications will probably never be taken.

Apart from parental cultural beliefs, minor side effects of certain antibiotics such as stomach upset may contribute to the poor adherence of medication. The use of "leftover", "shared" antibiotics and over-the-counter purchase of antibiotics by parents are common situations in the community.

They think that their children suffer from the same illnesses judging by the similar symptoms, so they would give the "leftover" or "shared" antibiotics to their children and only bring them to their doctors if there is no improvement (Chang & Tang, 2006). This may cause their conditions to deteriorate and may necessitate aggressive treatments later which may have unnecessary side effects.

However, there are small groups of Chinese who also blamed ill-health or misfortunes on supernatural forces, or on divine retribution, or on the malevolence of a 'witch' or 'sorcerer' (Helman, 1994). Such groups will usually seek cures from their religions.

In Singapore, the Ministry of Health has drawn up the TCM Practitioners' Ethical Code and Ethical Guidelines to prevent any unscrupulous practitioners from preying on their patients and taking advantage of their beliefs, for example, molesting ignorant patients.

The degree of acculturation has been evidenced in the following case. An old man was brought into our hospital with a week-long history of malaise, nausea and vomiting, and sudden jaundice. He was diagnosed to have an obstructive mass in the liver.

A biopsy revealed hepatocellular carcinoma. The serological test suggested chronic active hepatitis B. When the news broke to his son that his father had cancer, he requested not to disclose that to his father.

When we discussed end of life issues such as hospice care and "do-not-resuscitate" (DNR) orders, the son tried to divert the discussion to other issues such as when his father could go home.

Cultural Issues that may be involved in this case are:

The Chinese tend to protect the elderly from bad news.

Believing in karma - the older folk believe that discussing illnesses or death/dying is bad luck. They think that talking about something bad will cause it to come true.

There is an increased incidence of liver cancer resulting from Hepatitis B due to delayed treatment in the elderly, as it may take a long time for them to accept the initial diagnosis.

Reference:

Astin JA. (1998). Why patients use alternative medicine. J Am Med Assoc 1998; 279: 1548-1553.

Chan, G. C. & Tang, S. F. (2006) Parental knowledge, attitudes and antibiotic use for acute upper respiratory tract infection in children attending a primary healthcare clinic in Malaysia. Singapore Medical Journal, 47(4):266

Helman, C. G. (1990) Culture, Health and Illness. Wright, London.

Quah, S. R. (1985) The Health Belief Model and preventive health behaviour in Singapore. Social Science and Medicine, 21, 351-363.

Lee GBW, Charn TC, Chew ZH and Ng TP. (2004). Complementary and alternative medicine use in patients with chronic diseases in primary care is associated with perceived quality of care and cultural beliefs. Family Practice, 21(6): 654-660.

How Traditional Chinese Health Beliefs and Chinese Culture Influence Health and Illness?

No Win No Fee Home Loans Taxes Online

4 comments:

  1. Chemicals used in industries gives me Leukemia Cancer and it's all started when I wanted to get off my job to get another job that when I got diagnose, at that very point I was so scared to die because it has infected my blood cells also I was prescribed drugs like Cyclophosphamide,Busulfan,Bosutinib,Cytarabine, Cytosar-U (Cytarabine),Dasatinib in all that was just to keep me waiting for my dying day. I got inspired by what I read from a lady called Tara Omar on blog spot on how Dr Itua cure her HIV/Aids then they were lettered below that says he can cure Cancer so I pick his contact on the testimony she wrote then I emailed Dr Itua hopefully he replied swiftly to my mail then I purchased his Herbal medicine also it was shipped to me here in Texas, I went to pick it at post office so he instructs me on how the treatment will take me three weeks to cure my Leukemia Disease, Joyfully I was cured by this Dr Itua Herbal Medicine.
    I will advise you too to give a try to Dr Itua Herbal Medicine with the following diseases that he can help you cure forever___Diabetes, Herpes,HIV/Aids, Bladder Cancer, Breast Cancer, Parkinson's disease,Schizophrenia,Lung Cancer,Breast Cancer,Colo-Rectal Cancer,Blood Cancer,Prostate Cancer,siva.Fatal Familial Insomnia Factor V Leiden Mutation ,Epilepsy Dupuytren's disease,Desmoplastic small-round-cell tumor Diabetes ,Coeliac disease,Creutzfeldt–Jakob disease,Cerebral Amyloid Angiopathy, Ataxia,Arthritis,Amyotrophic Lateral Scoliosis,Fibromyalgia,Fluoroquinolone Toxicity
    Syndrome Fibrodysplasia Ossificans ProgresSclerosis,Seizures,Alzheimer's disease,Adrenocortical carcinoma.Asthma,Allergic diseases.Copd,Glaucoma., Cataracts,Macular degeneration,Cardiovascular disease,Lung disease.Enlarged prostate,Osteoporosis.Alzheimer's disease,
    Dementia.Vaginal Cancer, Kidney Cancer, Lung Cancer, Skin Cancer, Uterine Cancer, Prostate Cancer, Colo_Rectal Cancer, Leukemia Cancer, Hepatitis, Brain Tumors, Tach Disease,Love Spell, Infertility, Hpv. GoodLuck,XoXo****
    Dr Itua Contact Information:::
    Email (drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com)
    WhatsApp-(+2348149277967)

    ReplyDelete

  2. I was diagnosed with herpes virus i lived in pain with the knowledge that i wasn’t going to ever be well again i contacted so many doctors on this issue yet my condition never got better i was determined to get my life back so one day i saw Dr odion and told him my problems and all that i went through and he told me not to worry that everything will be fine again so he prepared the medicine and send it to me and told me how to use it, after 14days I went to see a medical doctor for test and the result was negative.i was so shocked and amazed,I'm the most happiest person on earth now.You too can also reach him via e-mail drodionherbalhome12@gmail.com or call/Whatsapp +2349019421176 Thanks and God bless you Dr odion

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, I am Joy Bella from Houston, Texas, USA. I was living with HPV(human papilloma virus) for almost 2 years, I was not myself, my body was always itching with pains until I was on the internet searching for a remedy. So luckily, i was reading testimonials of clients who was cured of herpes by the amazing spell caster named Dr Oluta spell doctor from West Africa.I contacted him by email, and within 15 minutes he got back to me and ask of my details which i provide to him, he consulted his oracle and told me the solution to my problem and how to go about it, i did is he told me and about the two days i got the cure which he prepared and send to me through DHL service, i took the cure as instructed by him getting to two days i was cured, my HPV(human papilloma virus) was cured up. All thanks to the superb healing herbs of Dr oluta
    You too can get in contact with him today if you wanna be cured from HPV(human papilloma virus) you having by email:  dr.olutaspellcaster@gmail.com or whatsapp +2349065326267
    you can still get in touch with me to know more my cure, here is mine email joybella425@gmail.com 
    Thank you so much great one.. I will continue to testify of your goodness to the universe.    

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello viewers this is a random post, when it comes to Africa herbs I recommend you to visit Dr.Ayo The Vegetarian and Herbs herbalist I visited him because i was diagnosed with Autism I Purchased for the herbal remedy because i saw some one who also received Cured from COPD As well So I choose to contact him i made some payment to him and received my Cure within four working days i make use of the herbs after three weeks now I Can Talk normally And I can also think and do things normally All Thanks To God For Using Dr.Ayo I'm a living prove that Autism have a Cure just at Dr.Ayo https://www.facebook.com/Priestsuccessful Or Avspellalter@gmail.com WhatsApp +2349054910629 https://wa.me/message/BC5Z75XDXYZOF1

    ReplyDelete